Tuesday 6 March 2012

celebrations



'Happy Anniversary': Good and Sturdy Art by Shari Elf

This is the art-work I gave S for our first anniversary on Leap Year Day, 29th February. It was made by artist Shari Elf, who makes art from recycled rubbish, and who also has a 'world famous crochet museum' in Joshua Tree, California. Her website is worth a look, link is above. Great fun.

Leap Year day itself was incredibly busy, with uni workshops (as a student) all day, followed by a seminar and workshop (as a lecturer) in the evening. In the day time workshop, I had a strong transference reaction to the student I was doing a role play with: he reminded me of S, as he was basically problem-solving in a situation where I, as a client, wanted a more empathic response. So I said this in class, and instantly felt this was too brutal, but it was too late to retract. This is a common experience for me! Me and my big mouth...


Anyway, we went away for the weekend, which was relaxing, walking around Noosa National Park and avoiding the timeshare trap at the resort, Novotel Twin Waters, which was less fun. Noisy air-conditioning, tv falling off the wall, smoke wafting up to our room from the balcony below, and really more of a conference venue than the place for a quiet weekend away...it was a place to sleep, no more!

We also went to Cafe Envy, which serves great breakfasts, at Cotton Tree, near the Boatshed (which I may have mentioned before...).


Cafe envy artwork - from the Ladies' loo!


Taking steps, making stitches: collage with paper thread and pastels

I made this image in peer supervision last night, its sewn together from four different coloured papers, and then oil pastels on top. Its a representation of my attempts to juggle work and study and teaching and family life at the moment. The pink dashes are my footsteps around QUT in the last week or two, finding rooms and feeling disorientated at times.  It was really satisfying stitching it all together. I love sewing! What also emerged is my enjoyment of my work as a therapist at the moment. 

Its been a huge week, and to cap it all, I have now had over 2,000 hits to this blog. About 2040 in fact. That's exciting!

more later.



No comments: