Thursday 5 April 2012

apron swap results!



I signed up for an apron swap at Rhonda Hetzel's Down to Earth blog a few weeks ago, and this is the finished result. The idea of a swap is to make something for someone, in this case an apron, and in return, they make one for you. In my case, I am paired with a special ed teacher in Wisconsin, north of Chicago, on the shores of Lake Michigan. I wanted to have palm trees in the photo, as its probably very different here (in Brisbane, Queensland) from the US Mid West.

The thing I am most pleased about (apart from actually finishing the apron on time) is that I made it using material and a pattern I already had, so I didn't have to buy any new supplies. This includes the basic fabric, which is a natural coloured, loose weave linen, and patchwork squares from a set called 'Hometown', which seemed appropriate. I attached the squares with double sided iron on interfacing, which is great for applique. I then zigzagged around the edges of the patches to make them more secure (aprons get washed lots). The apron looked very basic and utilitarian until I added the patchwork squares.

I also sent my apron buddy a recipe for Anzac biscuits, which seemed suitably Australian. And hopefully it will arrive before Anzac Day, on 25th April...

Back home, I am on holiday from work, and have the obligatory holiday virus. Uni (both teaching and student-ing) has settled down a little; its coming up to mid-Semester break. I have submitted my first assignment, and will have a take home exam next week. So you can see why I needed an apron project right now! Its called experiential avoidance; doing something instead of what you should be doing, because you want to avoid the uncomfortable feelings...

Its been a busy but fun week so far, and I am planning  more experiential avoidance, AKA relaxation, over the Easter weekend.

It was fun to set a movie as homework for my students this week, in this case, a Dangerous Method,  as we were studying Jung. Some of them were shocked that he had a sexual relationship (which also involved corporal punishment, AKA spanking) with his patient, Sabina Spielrein, excellently played by Keira Knightley. Spielrein,a Russian Jew, went on to become a psychoanalyst herself before being killed by the Nazis in Russia in 1942. Yes, the affair was a major breach of professional ethics. My experience suggests such breaches are not uncommon. Does being a pioneer excuse him? Perhaps not. But it shouldn't negate his contribution.

more later.

No comments: