Monday 10 September 2012

Queensland is where the hurt is...


felt patchwork heart

A short post only today, to say that I missed our annual Child Safety Week community development project at work, (see this link: Family Fun Day), on Saturday, to go to another uni workshop on....community development work!

(The felt heart (pun is intended) is related to one of the activities the therapy team did at the Fun Day.)

Anyway, as part of the workshop, we had to observe the local community, adjacent to QUT, at Kelvin Grove 'Urban Village' (that name just makes my fingernails curl), which was quite interesting, as I found out that the green corridor, that runs through the area from Victoria Park to McCaskie Park, has links with the local Indigenous population, who used the area for hunting, fishing, corroborrees and ceremonies, in the pre-'settlement' period, I presume. 

And I also reflected on what I valued as a student in the late 1970's, namely: subsidised cafes, non-commercial communal meeting spaces, and time to just be a student and stay up all night (well I did that once), talking and solving the world's problems. Those really were the days, my friend.

Tomorrow, we will hear the Queensland Liberal Governments' Budget, and I hope it won't cause too much chaos, anxiety, economic hardship and general destruction. But I am not holding my breath. 

And this link is to Susan Cain, talking about the power of introverts. 'ROWDIE!' Great stuff... 

more later.  





No comments: