Monday 15 October 2012

Belinda's Walk





 
flowers for Belinda

There is no easy way to write about this.  Belinda and I trained in art therapy together at Goldsmiths College, London, in 1982-3. I found out yesterday, via Facebook, that she died early this year, on approx 1st or 2nd January in fact, of breast cancer. I knew she was ill, as when I last saw her in February 2010, at the Tate Gallery, (when I was in England visiting my father, who was also dying), Belinda was already in the secondary stage of the illness. It is very strange to find this out, so so late in the year. In Breast Cancer Awareness month, which is what prompted me to look on her home page, in the first place...

Oh, and the day before, I facilitated an art therapy workshop for a group of women with advanced breast cancer. I had felt some strangeness about doing this group, and some resistance. Twenty or so years ago, in one year, three of my friends, from different eras of my life, were diagnosed with breast cancer. Only one of them, I now know, is still alive. 






Christmas 1993, Belinda, Bonnie and Jim.

more later.

No comments: