Friday 4 October 2013

getting over the hump, and getting warmer...






my impression of the rainbow serpent background for mural,
designed by Indigenous artist Gordon Hookey


Has an interesting night last night, at placement late, immediately following two intense days of Indigenous cultural competency training: we worked on mapping out the second mural at the placement site. In the dark, using an old school OHP (overhead projector), we projected the images made by each client, which were drawn onto transparencies, onto the wall, and  then traced them onto the corrugated iron fence with charcoal. With background of serpent and rainbow, as above, sort of. Eventually the whole perimeter fence will be included in the mural, with the rainbow serpent wrapped protectively around the whole centre. Exciting stuff! I am definitely not leaving the placement until this project is finished. 

Phew, having said that, I have only a few weeks left, and then I will be completely finished with the Masters of Social Work, hurrah! I have just over three weeks to go on placement, which seems incredible. I can't say it has been easy, but I am now feeling quite at home there, in some ways, and it will be sad to leave, despite the many challenges. And then, there are still the assignments...currently somewhat in avoidance mode...

After that, the future awaits, whatever that might look like...initially it will involve being back at my usual work, plus teaching (and with the end of the academic year approaching for my students as well, there will be marking, marking and more marking...) but also maybe seeking something different, workwise.
 

Despite my almost total neglect, this blog has now almost had 9000 hits, only 3 more to go at the time of writing, which is another milestone of sorts. I am so grateful to the people who visit here, and here is another way to say this...thanks so much for dropping by!



I have stayed off the topic of politics recently, as it is all just so depressing since the election of Tony Abbott.. However, I have to mention the fact that we now have conservative prime minister who does not believe in climate change. And will repeal the Carbon tax. And wants to 'stop the boats'. And. And..


words fail me, again.

more later



No comments: