Sunday 22 May 2011

this is how it is



'how it is' - wax crayon, watercolour paints, oil pastel, tissue paper.

Next week we are starting to run a group based on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and Art Therapy, in my (therapy) workplace. The image above is from one of the exercises I was trying out in preparation. To paint (or draw) how it is, and how you would like it to be (life). I have only done the first one. I really like it! does this mean I really like how my life is? Pretty much, yes (more than our clients I think). I enjoy the variety, the colour, the overall sense of cohesion achieved by layering and use of patterns. The good interactions with other people...

How could it be better? Well, less busy-ness, at least in this image...although less procrastination would achieve the same goal. Less stress. And more moments being mindful.


hibiscus

I went to an ACT interest group this week, for the first time. I really enjoyed it in the end, although getting there was an ordeal. We did an experiential activity (as you usually do, in ACT) about our clinical work, and letting go of the expectation of having to solve/help/fix, and instead, just being 'really present' with a client*. I experienced this as a great relief.

This is a link to an interesting neuroscience blog, by Jonah Lehrer, on the link between depression and thinking.

Jess in Toohey Forest

Dogs are really good at being in the moment.

On a more practical note, I am continuing to empty the freezer and cupboards, and use things up. Today I made rice pudding with some rather old calrose rice, and a vanilla pod whose use by date was 2007. It looks pretty good. I also cooked some pearl barley, for a minestrone soup. (I haven't eaten barley for years, possibly decades.) I have ordered another Jamie Oliver book (I already have 7) from the bookclub at work, for only $20. Its the thirty minute meals, as seen on tv. Shameless.

We went out for dinner on Friday, to Enoteca, as it was a sort of anniversary, but not quite.

I was hoping to post more often this week and failed totally. I think part of the problem is that I associate my laptop with uni work, and so I avoid opening it at home after a big day at work.

I find tv more relaxing.

*no way to say this without sounding corny.

more on all this later.

No comments: