Sunday 1 January 2012

happy messy new year


fern unfolding - NZ

Its a brand new year, and I have made a mess already! One of my presents this year - self chosen (often the best kind) - was Keri Smith's Mess: the Manual of Accidents and Mistakes. It one of a series of books she has published which inspire creativity...Wreck this journal being another of my favourites.

Besides the unfolding fern, which is a suitable metaphor for the new year (see my friend Amanda's website for her new year's metaphor), I wanted to make an image for the new year, and I came up with a firework: not too original, especially since the only fireworks I usually see at new year's are in Sydney at 9pm on the tv, (the early version), basically because I can't stay awake until midnight, ever! I like this column, which asks 'is new year's eve the best or worst night of the year?' - interesting that the Sydney firworks changed her mind about new year's eve.

Anyway, here it is, with nuts and bolts crayons from my younger son (some of the best presents are the ones you don't choose for yourself) which I used for the wax resist: 

 
making a mess...

And I also have black ink all over my hands.

I decided to have a new years day party instead, so that is happening today. 

I still need to review the year, but I know I am going to keep blogging. Happy new year!

more later.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I love your fireworks!Your picture is the second mention of wax crayons as resist today - is it a creative pointer I should follow? We'll see.

Thanks for the mention too! Hope the BBQ is going well - it's a gorgeous afternoon for it.