Wednesday 26 February 2014

paying and giving attention, 'kids on speed' and new beginnings

kidFight.jpg 

This is a great picture to illustrate the recent ABC program series about Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder,  'Kids on Speed' (available for a few days only). The program demonstrated some really interesting family dynamics, and showed how drugs alone don't solve the problem, although they can help if used in conjunction with 'Parent Assisted Therapy', which means retraining parents to manage 'problem' behaviours more effectively. Another factor in ADHD and other behavioural problems is giving positive attention to children, which seems to be increasingly difficult as families become busier and busier.





 This sign is displayed at our favourite coffee spot, on the Goodwill Bridge, in Brisbane. Not a good way to manage behavioural problems.

  digitally altered photo of the moon one night last week.

I've been in the gradual process of leaving my much loved work place, and getting ready to start my new job. Next week is the start of the first semester of the university year, so I will also be teaching once a week for about 12 weeks. 

patchwork mandala pattern, an aid to mindful meditation?
 
Trying to stay mindful is incredibly challenging during periods of change and instability, I'm finding. 

I drove the car into a trolley post at Woolworths on Sunday, due to not paying attention (the car tells me when I am about to hit something, and I ignored it). Oops. A surprising amount of damage was done.

more later


No comments: