Friday 7 February 2014

in which a slightly irregular patchwork quilt emerges, and another adventure begins...

 
framework quilt

Back in October 2012, whilst on my first social work placement, I made a quilt, based on an embroidered vintage tablecloth, which became my 'framework quilt', as it represented the many theoretical influences that inform my therapeutic practice.

I had to present my theoretical framework to the class, and it seemed logical to me to do that in visual, textile form.

Recently, I found some patchwork blocks I had started making a few years ago, using precut printed cotton strips (bought in rolls called 'jelly rolls'). The strips are sewn together lengthwise, then cut crosswise into strips, to make stripey strips. These strips are then resewn together, to make a block:

 the block

I made four squares like this (this is the last one, and is the most uneven, as I ran out of some prints) and joined them with additional strips, until it was large enough to make a quilt. I also had an old woollen blanket with pale pink satin ribbon edging at each end, which I wanted to incorporate into the quilt.  I managed to keep the satin edge, whilst quilting the rest of the blanket, which I think worked quite well.

Woodland Quilt
I admit I am not completely happy with this quilt, as the final turquoise binding didn't totally work, and I am going to redo it. But I was very happy with the process of making the quilt, especially as there was some resonance with the framework quilt, and I was now in the process of applying for jobs. 

At one stage this week, I had the sense of sewing a job for myself. This may sound strange, but it feels intuitively right, as I was systematically piecing together all the tiny scraps of my experience, and making them into something useful, warm and comforting. Perhaps a good metaphor for therapy?

Whatever the reason, sewing things together feels satisfyingly integrative. It also strikes me, that my father's paintings were all about coloured squares, and he really liked Bauhaus artist Josef Albers, who painted squares for over 25 years.

 Study for Homage to the Square by Joseph Albers

I realised after making the quilt, that there was a kind of 'woodland theme', both in the colours, and in some of the prints, many of which were floral, and which also included bird and toadstool motifs. Whether this symbolises being 'lost in the woods', or being 'out of the woods', I am not sure...but today I was informally offered the job I blogged about last week, after a long interview on Tuesday. So I am feeling pretty excited about that.

more later.


No comments: