Sunday 23 March 2014

heartfelt gallery/crop fest remix


heart #1: felt and applique pocket

After what seems like a long break, I'm back on the blog again.

Meanwhile, I have been trying to adjust to full-time work - in fact, I'm currently doing three jobs, as I am still in my old job for another two weeks, as well as teaching at UQ, and in my new job with Mercy (aka Sisters of Mercy) Services. Which, considering I was basically working only two days a week between November and February, is a huge culture shock!

Change has been pretty much a constant for the past six months. Perhaps longer, it depends when you start counting. But that is when S. resigned from his public service job, which threw things into flux.

 heart #2: deflated patchwork heart

 heart #3: oven g/love heart

Finding things that stablise me has been really important. Art has surprisingly not been a big part of this process, at least recently. Art takes time. I did try to tune in to some tutorials by Michael Nobbs at Sustainably Creative, but found I was too overwhelmed. I remember dad (also called Michael, who was always busy, and who died four years ago this month) saying he played the jazz trumpet as a substitute for painting, as it was easier to pick up and put down again. But I don't play an instrument: basically, yoga, meditation and body combat are my jazz!

 heart #4: Sustainably Creative Heart, drawing

 heart #5: origami

Dad often painted squares when he did paint, being influenced by Joseph Albers (who painted squares) and Frank Stella (who painted stripes) in bright Pop Art colours. I must admit I love the almost ritual quality of the repeated shapes, and patterns, which he claimed to work out on graph paper. which leads me to my repeated heart shapes in this post. 

The idea came from Curly Pops, aka Cam, blogger and fabric artist, who is creating a tea towel of Instagram heart pics to raise money and awareness for heart and lung transplant recipients via the Tour de Transplant currently happening in Victoria (22nd to 30th March). Cam had a lung transplant last year.

 heart #6: flowers and planets

On Friday night we went to crop fest, at Wandering Cooks, at 1, Fish Lane, West End.
Sustainable veggie soup, music, and a good community vibe - what more could you want?

wonky felt rainbow: detail of bigger picture fabric collage

This is a sneak preview of fabric collage I am (secretly) making for my old workplace, Silky Oaks: its going to be called the Tree of Life, and it features hearts on trees. Now the secret is out.

I also have to mention the wonderful Billy Bragg, who we saw and heard on Thursday night at the Tivoli (yes its been a busy week). Bragg is a great communicator, singer and songwriter with a big heart, who creates an instant community at his gigs. I know, I've been to a few now...

Here is Billy busking with Jack Monroe of food blogging fame. Worlds colliding again...

 
 from Mercy Centre, where I attended a mindfulness retreat last Sunday.

Perhaps things will settle down soon. 

more later

No comments: