Tuesday 27 May 2014

the courage to feel: sewing, and birds

 e for emotion: quilted fabric on card

I must write a hundred blog posts in my mind to each one I actually publish, these days. The next four weeks will be really busy, and then hopefully July a bit less so. But enough of the excuses. An interesting article on being really busy here...

from little things - fabric applique

I made this last weekend, which is a good reminder to me that I can make something quickly (and well) when I try. The applique, which still has some tacking in it, was made for our 10 year celebration of Masters of Mental Health - Art Therapy at the University of
Queensland, which we are hanging next week. And speaking of trees, I think this one needs a bird. I knew it wasn't quite finished...

Two movies about powerful emotions, and birds: 

Healing is a beautiful movie about, well, healing. A grownup Kes (1969) for the modern age, perhaps? It really is about the courage to feel, and the power of relationships, both personal and professional. The amazing Don Hany stars as an Iranian man in jail in Victoria, who finds his way back to life (no pun intended) with the help of Hugo Weaving's prison officer and an eagle called Yasmin. This movie may not be in cinemas much longer, as its showing at midday, never a good sign. It deserves better.

Broken Circle Breakdown is a Belgian movie about loss and grief, and country music. Its very sad, but as someone once said, grief is its own medicine, if you hang in there. There is a wonderful and powerful section of this movie about a child and a dead bird, which resonated with this blog post
- sometimes children just get it.

I could go on, but I should feed my birds (chooks), and dog, and go to work. 

More later.

No comments: