Monday 1 August 2011

finding time


'your inbox has reached its size limit' - paint on paper

The images above and below were created as part of a closed group art therapy blog, for parents of school age children, which one of my students is running. The name of the project is 'finding time', which is very apt for parents, as time seems to be one thing we are always running short of...the first image is about work, and feeling that there is a lot coming into my 'inbox' (or head) at the moment, so it sometimes feels like it is going to burst. I deliberately used a very small square frame for this painting; its only 9cm square. This made it easier for me to paint - less daunting. It also helped create the feeling of compression.

saturday morning - pastels

The second image, a pastel drawing, is about spending relaxed time watching my son play football (and win the league!).

It also makes me reflect on this blog - about finding time to do the things that matter, and also finding time to write the blog itself. I am interested in knowing who finds time to read it as well. Please post a comment if you feel like it, let me know who you are, and why you read this blog. I am hoping to reach 1000 'hits' in the next months or so...currently the tally is 931. You can help me get there!

I have just read Salmon Fishing in the Yemen by Paul Torday, which I bought second hand in Kuranda last month, when I was staying in Cairns (I am trying not to buy all my books online...) Very funny book, and a nice satire on recent British politics (the Blair years), as well as some thoughtful reflections on the difference between Western and Islamic societies.

I also really like reading Kathleen Noonan's column, in the Courier Mail every Saturday (on the back of 'etc'). Her column is usually about similar themes to this blog. This week she writes about a local lawyer and property developer who realised (after having a stroke) that making heaps of money does not create happiness. As she says, 'how come all these guys attain wisdom AFTER they have added to the general awfulness that is Brisbane's housing development and architecture?' Indeed.

Clothes shopping report
I am still trying not to buy new clothes, unless I have to. I had a recent breakout, when I bought 4 jumpers/t-shirts in a July sale at David Jones. This felt very weirdly guilty, and yet still enjoyable. The only other times I have broken the fast recently have been buying thermal underwear (for New Zealand in November), and gym wear some months ago. Both are getting heaps of use. Its still very cold at night, (and all day long in my house). And I am going to the gym about 4 times a week. I have actually signed up for the Bridge to Brisbane run (the 5 kilometre option) in September. So I am officially 'in training'.

more later.

3 comments:

Christian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Antria said...

I read your blog because I appreciate the way in which you are using the principles of ACT to assist you to live in accordance with your values. I'm interested to watch this journey, and to see the way you use art and creative processes as part of this :).

Claire Edwards said...

Thanks Antria, I'd be interested to know how you found my blog and also how you found ACT - all feedback is appreciated!
Claire