Friday 4 January 2013

Why less is more: upcycling frugality

the latest journal - made yesterday

Bear with me here, I do get to the point eventually...

Back again...with vacuum cleaner unrepaired. It seems only the first problem was fixed, which is that the cord would not retract, as 6 clothes pegs (yes, 6!) were stuck inside the cord reel. Which is due to a Godfreys person telling me, some time ago, to use clothes pegs to stop the cord retracting, which it does, at will, until the cord is only 6 cms long. So the original problem, of retracting-at-will cord (are you following this?), is unfixed. Incidentally, the repairman told me, that they have to charge a deposit in advance now, as people often don't bother to return to collect their fixed vacuum cleaners. they go and buy a new one instead. And this is related to frugality. Sometimes you have to spend money, to save money. And repairing stuff, rather than buying new stuff, is a good example.

Some electrical equipment seems designed to last a short time. My I-phone lasted only a couple of years (now I have an android, probably no better). I would never buy another Brother sewing machine. Yes, it was cheap, but it stopped working properly, and the repairman told me they are expensive to fix, as the mechanics are hard to access, and it takes time to take them apart. So I now use my mother's old sewing machine, a Pfaff, which works really well. Its clunky, heavy and noisy, but it looks retro, and its great!

I don't usually mention brand names, but it seems appropriate here. Anyway, frugality is a personal value, and is something I try to live by. Sometimes it does involve spending money. I am getting organic vege boxes from Food Connect, as they have food sourced from local farmers only. So whilst this costs more than buying from Aldi, it is better for the environment (saves transport costs, as well as not using pesticides), and for local farmers. And possibly better for our health - still not sure on this one. Of course, I am still growing some veges, but not enough! And some things at Aldi are hard to resist, like $2 boxes of blueberries...but frugality I think also applies to non-monetary things.

I used to believe in, or at least, practice, retail therapy. But now, thanks to trying to 'do what matters', I avoid shopping centres as much as possible. They depress me, and I feel happier for not being in them. I am glad my younger son's high school (BSHS) is not near a mall, as my older son's was (Carindale). Loitering with dissent; not a good pastime for the youf of today.

 recycling: print collage

Frugality also involves reusing, and upcycling, where possible.  The journal in the top photo, above, is made from paper I recycled from my 'stash', and a remnant of fabric from Spotlight. The paper includes old architectural drawings from our reno, (how appropriate) and some old artworks, as well as daggy bits of paper that were 'leftovers'. Its very satisfying to make something new out of these scraps. The collage, above, similarly, is from a collection of old prints, that I was given at a workshop last year. And is in my current journal, which was a gift from a student I had on placement with me, who taught me how to make journals in the first place. Thanks, Tabs!

And on the topic of leftovers, I also try to waste as little food as possible. This means looking in the fridge, and freezer, before looking in a recipe book. Having leftovers for lunch. Recycling meals (sometimes they need a bit of a disguise, or upcycle, to avoid boredom). Not buying coffee, unless I am actually going out for coffee. And if all else fails, chooks are good recycling engines. 

I bought S a book on Zen and the art of raising chickens for christmas. He seems to like it. Yes, I still buy stuff. Books of all kinds (craft, fiction, anthologies, non-fiction on various topics, including upcycling!) are a particular weakness. I also regularly use all the libraries (public and academic) I have access to. I only bought one social work text book last year. And I looked at several! 

I also still buy clothes, which is harder to justify. Probably an indulgence. But I buy less often, and more carefully, like trying to get organic cotton garments

I also love op shops: I have one on site at work, which is particularly useful. If we need something for therapy supplies, the op shop can usually source it within the day. 

bike sign, from under the expressway, Brisbane city

Leisure, also, can be a frugality challenge. I have clients who believe they have to take their children to theme parks, to have 'quality time' together.  This is sad, although I must admit, I do miss doing child-centred things, now the boys are older. I like walking in the rainforest, going to the beach, and being at home. Creating, whether it be making art, gardening or sewing. Going to independent cinemas, which don't upsell the popcorn, which I don't eat anyway. Up-Cycling along the river (I couldn't resist that, sorry), on Sunday mornings. Going for a drive (in our diesel-fuelled car). Writing this blog. Cooking our own meals. 

Being happy with less.

We are going on another drive. Unavoidable, when learning to drive.

more later.

No comments: