Sunday 30 January 2011

balancing acts

Today I am thinking about the work-life balance that we all struggle to 'get right'.  In between weekend chores such as changing the sheets, doing a load of washing, making rye bread and granola, weeding the garden, vacuuming the house, cleaning mould off my shoes, and fixing the dripper irrigation system running off our rainwater tank, I also manged to sit down and do the Saturday cryptic crossword, walk the dog, drink 2 cups of tea, have lunch, start a sewing project for work (making a stuffed purple elephant) and do this drawing:

the owl and the parrot

The owl and the parrot appeared in a previous post, in my painting about meditation. They represented the observing self (owl) and the chattering mind (parrot). In ACT, we need to pay more attention to the observing self, and less to the chattering mind. In this oil pastel drawing however, the owl represents work, and the parrot, play. They are looking in opposite directions, but they seem to me to be complementary.

In what we call the work-life balance, there is a suggestion that work and life are oppositional. Does it have to be this way? Perhaps work and play (play being more like the opposite of work than life) can also be complementary. I know that when I am faced with a huge list of things to do, I need to have breaks or rewards, to help me get through the list. This is easier to implement at home than at work, where I tend to be more focused (although computers provide easy access to numerous reward systems). I am lucky as my work as an art therapist involves elements of play, indeed I provide play therapy for some of my younger clients.

I read a review of a book which I found disturbing yesterday. Called Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, by Amy Chua: it apparently describes a Chinese mother's attempts to bring up her children to be overachievers like herself, by cramming their days with study and violin practice. There seemed to be no time for the children to play, and their protests (when they didn't feel like studying) were sometimes met with threats. I wondered about the psychological harm these children might suffer as a result of having no time to play.

As the first month of this AT/ACT challenge to 'be present, open up, and do what matters' is almost up, I have decided to revisit my original behavioural goals and briefly make a comment about how I have been doing on each one:

Family
My aim is to spend more time doing family things. We had a big family lunch last weekend at the Sunshine Coast, with my parents and my brother's family, and we have already booked our christmas break for the end of the year, never been that organised before. neither of these events was organised by me, but I am happily going with the flow! Also,  just heard that my lovely, brainy sister is visiting this winter from UK, yay!

Health
I am going to the gym regularly again, aiming for 3-4 times a week, including one session with a personal trainer. I have been continuing with my RCT, trying out red clover tablets for menopause symptoms. I have also been to my new female GP twice and really like her - this is important! She is a very good communicator.  My sleeping pattern is reasonably good, and I am continuing to meditate every day.

Environment
I have recycled and donated clothes and linen for people affected by the flood. We continue to compost, recycle leftovers for chooks, recycle waste, and collect rainwater (as much as the tank can hold, anyway). We have solar panels and solar hot water, so we are generating our own electricity when the sun shines.  S bought a new car this month: it runs on diesel like the previous one, but I could probably do better at using public transport some of the time, or my bicycle!


Community
This has been a huge theme this month, due to the flood. I have volunteered to do counselling for flood-affected people. I have had my pyjama angel interview, and just need to do the training, so I can be matched with a foster child. Today I am going to the Reggae for Recovery concert. Its a long time since I went to anything like this, but S loves reggae, and it seemed like a fun way to help raise money. It will be a nice reminder too of our past life in Brixton.

Friendship
Lots of  communication with friends since christmas, mainly on facebook and by email, and it has been good to catch up with friends face to face, whenever the opportunity presented itself.

Creativity,
I have done lots of sewing, making things for the house, altering clothes, and making containers of all kinds. I have also been doing drawing and painting for this blog. And the blog itself has become a valued outlet for my creativity.

Leisure
S and I went for a cycle yesterday, its his big thing, but I am trying to participate in that too, a bit. We are going to the concert together today. Often I just enjoy being at home, and watching films. Saw most of Horton hears a Who on TV last night - I love Dr Seuss! A few good messages there, about perceptions of reality, community action (good and bad) and support for the smallest in society. One thing bother me though - why was the kangaroo the baddie?. And the other day I saw I am Sam - sounds Seuss-ish, but is actually a movie about a disabled man (played by Sean Penn) and his rights as a father to be allowed to look after his daughter. 

Frugality
Managed not to buy any clothes so far this year. Only bought a hat for $20, when I was at the coast without one - my skin being more important on that occasion than my principles. I haven't bought any books online, either. I have bought some things - a new digital camera - well worth it as I have been using it almost every day, and it supports my creative goal. I paid for my son to go to camp - he got a lot out of that - and bought all his back to school stuff. And oh yes, S bought a new car. I wasn't sure about that. It wasn't my preference, but I admit its good to drive. He isn't trying to be frugal, clearly.

I am going to leave the rest for next post, as I am going to take the dog for a walk now, before it gets too hot.

P.S. I am reading Obama's Dreams from my Father. He is a good writer, and seems honest and thoughtful. This book is about his early life before politics.

more later.

No comments: