Thursday 19 December 2013

renovating values and untangling knots: less is more, revisited


untangling knots

'My next task is to whittle down the 13 into a manageable number, say three'.

This was a good thought, about a year ago. Blogs don't read as fluently as books, however, and they appear in reverse order, last post first, so its hard to maintain the thread at times. My original goal from three years ago was to identify and review thirteen values, listed in my last post. This proved to be impossible for me to write about consistently, as I kept getting distracted, much as I do when meditating. So I have now come up with four broader categories of values, derived and consolidated from the original thirteen. (I should  remember to follow my own advice more often.)

Here they are, anyway:

 
  • Health - includes physical well being, emotional growth and spiritual health

  • Community - includes family, friends, work (therapy) and environment/frugality

  • Creativity - includes communication, drawing, sewing and writing/blogging

  • Leisure - includes home and garden, fun, movies, books, and travel

That accounts for all thirteen, and then some. So, as in Buddhism, I think four pillars is a good solid number to focus and build on, without getting bogged down and going off track far too often.

more later

No comments: