Wednesday 18 December 2013

the joy of blogging - five years on and reaching ten thousand views!



Fatima's hand - one finger for each year of blogging, and my festive door decoration 
- not very christmassy, but that's why it pleases me

I started blogging almost five years ago, on 5th January 2009. This is amazing in itself, as I would have guessed about three years, not five, but my first attempts scared me, and in truth I didn't start blogging 'for real' (on a more or less regular basis) until a bit later.  Actually, I just checked, it was 28th December 2010, so three years is totally accurate! Keeping going, and not running out of 'material' are, in my mind, significant achievements.

Also, I have had 9815 views so far, and I would like to reach ten thousand by the end of the year, if possible. Will probably need to write fairly often for a while, only a couple of weeks to go...wish me luck (and help me out!).

Indian-style tree decoration

This is the list of the thirteen individual areas I originally decided to 'work on' as 'self improvement projects' in this blogging adventure. Wow, I was a hard task mistress!!
  • family,
  • health,
  • environment,
  • community,
  • friendship,
  • creativity,
  • leisure,
  • frugality,
  • therapy,
  • home,
  • emotional growth
  • communication
  • spirituality
These are all still important areas, or values, and probably would be to most people lucky enough not to be caught up in day to day survival.

These days, my posts are much less intense and goal directed, and probably more reflective and descriptive. But many of the goals I set have become second nature - buying heaps less, and exercising heaps more, for example. Perhaps I can try to revisit them in the next couple of weeks, one value per day...(I usually fail these tough assignments I set myself). 

Plus, I now officially have a Masters of Social Work, having  graduated on 12th December, although I didn't attend the ceremony, but that's another, not very interesting, story.

Owl style felt decoration

Yesterday, I got to cuddle a 4-week old baby (belonging to a colleague who is on maternity leave) and I finished work (in one of the jobs I am currently doing, anyway), for the summer break, but am feeling a bit weird, as I had a job interview last week, and there is a supplementary interview this afternoon for the same position. So, until I know the results, I am unsure about what next year will look like, especially since I have recently returned to this job after being 'absent on social work placement'. This is complicated, because its a clinical role, and I have started working with new clients, who are probably assuming I will be around for the next few months. not to mention my long-suffering and adorable colleagues. Awkward.

 string angel - the best kind!

Last week, S and I went to an After Dark event at the Museum. This was in relation to the excellent and stunningly beautiful exhibition of gold jewellery and other ancient artefacts, rescued from the National Museum in Kabul,  Afghanistan, currently showing at South Bank. 

Afghanistan: Hidden treasures from the National Museum Kabul  
The exhibits were great, there was wine, dancing, and music, (probably not sanctioned by the Taliban) - but they totally ran out of food!! OMG, not a well-planned event. As there is nowhere to find food  nearby on a Friday night, as we discovered: we walked a long way down Grey Street to find a cool Japanese restaurant, but it was a shame to have to leave the event early to eat...and I love middle eastern food, so it was a double shame.

that's all for now, more later

No comments: