Monday 31 October 2011

superstition


sugar skull - oil pastel

Its Halloween today, which is causing me to reflect on the theme of Superstition, also a song by Stevie Wonder.

I am not superstitious, so this is a list of things I don't 'believe (in)':
  • 'everything happens for a reason' and the variation:
  • 'this was meant to be/this wasn't meant to be'
  • star signs/horoscopes - not a good basis for parenting wisdom or other relationships, in my opinion
  • feng shui - likewise for interior design
  • not mentioning certain words (and thereby giving them magical properties): death and cancer spring to mind, plus the name of your ex.
  • halloween
  • oh, and religion
the last one has surprised a few people, but as I have never believed in religion, I am equally surprised by the fact that other people do. 

perhaps I should add 'qantas' to that list. I cannot help thinking they are being very 'un-Australian' at the moment.

The sugar skull was fun to do. The first new drawing I have posted for some time...Teaching period is over, now we are in marking/exam period, and did someone mention organising a conference?

more later


No comments: