Thursday 22 September 2011

my word - namaste!


peace poster (using HOPE Poster I phone app.)

When I wake up early enough, I enjoy this Thursday morning ritual. Driving to the gym, I listen to the last segment of the very retro 'My Word'on Radio National with Dennis Norden and Frank Muir (about 5.45am). Dennis and Frank have to tell outrageous stories to explain the (imaginary) etymology of phrases such as 'Maybe its because I'm a Londoner' or 'Better to be envied than to be pitied', which were the phrases featured on today's show. Dennis Norden's morning contribution was a classic appropriately involving a long explanation of doing difficult and strenuous gym exercises (or PT as it used to be called) thus yielding the term: 'Better to be unfit than to be PT'ed'. The longest applause determines the winner.  The original Spicks and Specks, 'My Music' is on another day. Must date from the sixties or seventies, I am guessing. Pure gold.

After the drive to Sunnybank, its time for Body Balance, which is a class that combines Tai Chi, Yoga and Pilates, all choreographed to music. Very good for stretching those hamstrings and glutes (not to mention all the rest). The class ends, like yoga, with a ten minute meditation. Today this somehow involved the word 'peace', and we were invited to notice any examples of 'unpeace' in our heads - I was so focused on this abuse of English I felt quite unpeaceful there for a while. We end the class with our hands at the 'heart centre' saying 'namaste', a salutation from Sanskrit, which has a nice friendly and inclusive tone.



more later

No comments: