Monday 12 September 2011

parenting muse


'talking to S.. about relationships' - pastels

'work life imbalance' - pastels

These two images are from the online parenting group I have been participating in, which finished last week. It was strange but gratifying to be part of a group that only met online, but no more strange and gratifying than writing this blog...

The first image 'Talking to S.. about relationships' was made after reflecting proudly on what a thoughtful and emotionally literate son I have - taking so much in his stride at the moment despite a very difficult year, and about to graduate as a high school English and ESL teacher in about 6 weeks time...the drawing is supposed to show the ebb and flow of our conversation the other night as we discussed the trials and tribulations of love and romance in 21st century, well more particularly, coping with break-ups in a Facebook World...wish I could take the pain away, but motherhood has its limitations.

The assignment was to make a piece of art about spending time with your child/ren. Which I found surprisingly difficult, as they seemed to be quite elusive at that time...

The second image 'Work life Imbalance' is about work commitments, and trying to find the right balance. If I am studying next year, something will have to give...just trying to decide what that should be. The drawing is rather formal, restrained and geometric, compared to the first image (they go together). Perhaps its just a timely reminder. I have worked two Saturdays in the last three. On the third I was sick in bed all day with the Headache Virus. Not a cold or flu, just a very bad headache.

I planted out some seedlings in my new vege garden this weekend (well, Sunday), after strewing the beds with chicken manure and compost (who knew we ate so many peanuts?) Dirt under the fingernails again, yay! I am looking forward to success, which has eluded me on previous attempts. For the record, I planted rainbow chard, corn, beetroot, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, and marigolds. We'll see what happens...

We  took S's younger brother to see Submarine at the weekend, which deals with young love, with great British (ok, Welsh) humour and quirkiness. What could be more embarrassing than an honest and awkward movie about your first girlfriend? Seeing it with your parents, right?

more later.

No comments: